When you feel itchiness, redness, and dryness on your lips then it may be the sign of Eczema. It’s a very common skin issue that can happen usually to anyone. There are two main causes that can be the reason for eczema, one is a lot of dryness in the skin and the other is inflammation that can be due to immune cells.
But there are some other various reasons too, some of them are the following:
- External causes like cold weather or excessive use of AC can be the reason of lips eczema.
- It can be an inherent issue also, due to which skin is unable to hold moisture and generate inflammation.
Apart from this following are a few factors that are responsible for Eczema on Lips:
- Products that don’t suit your skin type.
- Some specific sorts of food items.
- Smoking, which is bad for your whole mouth.
- This may be the symptom of your respiratory issue.
- It can be due to hormonal changes in the body.
- Stress can also be one of the reasons.
- Sometimes it happens due to a family history of allergy.
Eczema on Lips – Know about & How to Tackle
Is Eczema of one type?
No, there are three sorts of Eczema that you may suffer from:
- Allergic Eczema: Which can be due to some cosmetic products that contain ingredients which you might have an allergy, any medicine, or dental products.
- Angular Eczema: This can be due to fungal or bacterial infection and this is due to bad habits like the licking of lips or because of saliva that is built on the sides of lips. Not only this, but braces can also be the cause of such infections.
- Irritant Eczema: Something that is affecting externally can be the reason for this type of eczema-like outside environment, licking of lips or cosmetic products
It can happen on either one lip or both, but you should check the other symptoms also to clarify that it is eczema on your lips, such as:
- Rashes can be around your lips
- Lips get flaky and dry
- There might be cracks over the lips
- It can pain sometimes due to itching and burning sensation
- Inflammation over the skin
- Patches over the skin of lips
- If balms only can’t make a difference
Is there any way to tackle this problem?
Indeed, there is. You can use the following things to at least lessen your pain:
- Ointment, prescribed by a doctor
- Moisturize your lips frequently
- Use a good lip balm which contains petroleum gel
- Anti-bacterial creams in case you have an infection
But if you are looking for some home remedies, which can be the best option to prevent your eczema issue, such as:
- Essential oils like sunflower or coconut
- Shea butter
- Vinegar (Apple Cider)
- Vitamin D
- Acupuncture and Acupressure
If you are using vinegar, then first test it on your hand because it is not suitable for all types of skin. These remedies can be the temporary solution to get some relief but the permanent solution can be done only if you’ll get to know the exact cause behind your eczema on the lips and cure it.
What else you can do to lessen the risk of eczema?
There are a few easy tips that you can apply in your daily life to make your lips damp, healthy and attractive:
- You should be aware of those things which you might have allergy from either it’s in cosmetics or food.
- You should always do a small test on your hand, first, if you are using some new product.
- Stress should be less and for that, you can do some meditation or can join any of your hobby classes.
- Try to use natural products that have lesser side-effects as these are chemical-free.
- Frequently wash out your hands and mouth to get rid of bacteria that can infect you.
- Smoking is the worst thing not only for lungs but for your whole mouth which you should quit.
- If the issue is not resolving in a few days then consult the dermatologist and follow the instructions. There might be some ointment that they can prescribe.